Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Visualizing the Pulse of BJJ Blogs

The internet has become an important part of jiu-jitsu culture, and in many ways, it has been responsible for the continued growth of the sport.  We turn to blogs and videos and podcasts for technical analysis and updates on jiu-jitsu culture.  The internet keeps us entrenched, and it keeps us connected.  Just as grapplers develop their own styles bloggers too tend to focus on certain areas of jiu-jitsu.  I'm a nerd, and I enjoy exploring these trends in new ways with the hope of gleaning new meaning from my usual reading.  Below, I have made some word clouds of my favorite jiu-jitsu blogs.  The words that appear are what they talk about most, and the bigger words are the ones that appear most often.



GracieMag.com







Aesopian.com
























The Jiu-Jitsu Laboratory




MarshalDCarper.com



















At a glance, it seems like we all love to talk about the guard.  Aesopian and the Jiu-Jitsu Laboratory talk a lot about individual grapplers and their techniques, but where the Jiu-Jitsu Laboratory is obsessed with certain techniques like the berimbolo, where Aesopian (as of late) has been talking about a number of different techniques.  My articles, on the other hand, tend to be more abstract in nature, which will be changing as I get more involved in r/BJJ's Technique of the Month series.  If you haven't read any of the above blogs, I recommend that you do so.

Edit:
Johnny Billingslea of Rebel Jiu-Jitsu sent me his rendition of a jiu-jitsu word cloud, and he does a better job of using a world cloud to illustrate the thought focus of a grappler than my world clouds did.  His artwork:

No comments:

Post a Comment