Tuesday, February 7, 2012

My Ears Are Burning (and it's not from cauliflower)

Rich.  Can you tell he loves fighting?

The Cauliflower Chronicles, my first book, hit shelves in December of 2010, and it has sold more copies than I ever could have anticipated.  Thank you for your support, and thank you for the emails and Facebook messages that you have sent me.  Hearing that my writing has had an impact, even if that impact was just a few hours of entertainment, is far more rewarding than any royalty check.  If I have not responded to your email or message, please resend it.  My inbox fills quickly, and I may sometimes miss a message.

Also, thank you for telling other people about the book.  Rich, for example, sent me this Facebook message to tell me about how he got The Cauliflower Chronicles mentioned on The Sports Network:

I gave a shout out to Cauliflower Chronicles on TSN (Canada's ESPN) on the Live Audio Wrestling radio show this past Sunday night, getting my vote for the category of "Best MMA Book of 2011", you can check it out at

http://fightnetwork.com/news/wrestling/jan-22-edition-law-royal-rumble-predictions/

it is around the 1hour 34 minute mark.
This is a big compliment for me, but a private email is a big compliment as well.  For example, I got from Pocholo is consistent with the general theme of emails that I receive:

Dear Mr. Marshal D. Carper,

Earlier today, I happened along your book at my local library. I decided to pick it up and began reading it. Several hours flew by and I simply devoured every page of your book. It hooked me from beginning to end. I simply could not put it down. Every single part of your story spoke to me.

Allow to introduce myself. I am a 20 year old college student. My major is Computer Science and I am a member of my school's newspaper. Reading and writing has always been one of my passions. My single most intense passion is Mixed-Martial-Arts. I have been training pankration for 3 years. I eat, sleep, and dream MMA.

Lately though I have been going through a rough time. I am socially awkward and have few friends. The few I thought I had drifted away without a word.  My training partners are the only companions I can rely on.

I apologize for rambling incessantly but I just want to let you know that you become one of my greatest inspirations. I have always wanted to travel to train in a different area. After reading your tale, I will do it for sure. Please keep up the good work. I look forward to reading all of your future works.

Your fan, 
Pocholo
Again, thank you everyone for the kind words.  They make me very happy, and I'm glad that most of them come in electronic form because I get pretty embarrassed when people talk to me about my work in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment