Thursday, February 23, 2012

Around the World Jiu-Jitsu (sort of)

As a sort of exercise, I decided to map out all of the places where I've trained. Some gyms I visited only for a day, others I spent a considerable amount of time in, but it's interesting to see just how wide (and in many ways, narrow) my grappling experience is.  Jiu-jitsu is a journey, and that journey has been the major defining factor of my writing career.  This sport is full of heroes and villains, of comedians and tragic figures.  Jiu-jitsu culture, like any subculture, is diverse and varied.  In actuality, there are many jiu-jitsu travel writers that took the idea of a jiu-jitsu odyssey in a completely different direction from what I did in the Cauliflower Chronicles.

Christian Graugert, for example, saw much of the world.  The map that I made, pictured below, is humbling in a lot of ways.  I have a lot to see, and I have a lot to learn.


View Training in a larger map


Also, I am collecting the locations of gyms where people I have met on and offline train with the hope that I can someday do a grappling road trip.  Want your gym added to the map?  Comment on this with your gmail address (or email me privately) and I will give you permission to add your gym!  You can see the progress thus far in the map below.


View The Cauliflower Chronicles Road Trip in a larger map

How do you add your map to the gym once you have access?  Search for your gym in Google Maps, and click the pin or marker that represents your gym.  Then, click "Save to Map," and select "The Cauliflower Chronicles Road Trip."  Next, click "my places" in the upper left hand corner, select "The Cauliflower Chronicles Road Trip," and click the "Edit" button to add your name and Twitter handle (or email) to your gyms pin.

No comments:

Post a Comment